How to become more fluent in Spanish
Diós mio!!!! How will I ever learn Spanish?
- Try to spend at least one hour per day learning Spanish. Mix it up- 15 minutes in the morning watching TV, online 20 minutes at some point during the day, talk to yourself in Spanish while driving in the car, etc.
- Study textbooks of increasing difficulty. The first book that I bought was “Spanish for Dummies”, now I study Intermediate textbooks.
- Learn vocabulary like crazy!! Learn the Spanish words for everything that you see in your life.
- Don’t put yellow stickies on items all around your house that have the Spanish word for that item on them, your wife will get grouchy about that.
- Translate anything that you see written in Spanish. Brochures, signs in stores, labels and instructions on cartons and boxes.
- Speak Spanish anytime that you can. I don’t always have someone to speak with so I talk out loud to myself.
- Watch Spanish TV and movies. Watch the nightly news first in English and then in Spanish. Fifteen minutes of Youtube Despierta America everyday whether you need it or not!
- Use different websites and study them every day.
- Learn the culture, don’t just learn how to talk Spanish- be Spanish!
- When you see commercials for programs or products that will teach you to be fluent in months, laugh at them! It’s going to take years!!
- Take a weekly Spanish class. Being around others that are at your same level is really fun! I have learned so much from students in my class and other teacher’s technique, Spanish Immersion, rocks Spanish to the MAXX!